Great tips from our sister firm!!
There are many facets of planning when it comes to retiring. One of the most important yet overlooked matters as you ponder retirement is the emotional aspect. I would like to illuminate a few thoughts to contemplate in the 3 years leading up to retirement.
- Are you ready to move to the next chapter without that structured lifestyle? Take this time to redefine your identity.
- Do you need to seek new purpose, such as charity work, a part time job, join social groups or perhaps spend additional family time with grandkids?
- This can contribute to a positive transition by staying active and fulfilled, living the quality of life you dreamed of.
- If you are already enrolled in Medicare, then a priority would be to ensure that your Medicare coverage and supplemental insurance still suits your needs, particularly if your employer provided supplemental insurance and you need to search elsewhere.
- If you don’t qualify for Medicare upon retirement, companies with >20 employees are required to offer COBRA insurance for up to 18 months which could cover that gap until you qualify for Medicare.
- If you haven’t implemented or updated your Estate Documents (Will, Power of Attorney and Health Care Directive), now is a good time to do so.
- It would be wise to have a family meeting to ensure that your trusted family members are aware of your intentions and timeframe.